Columbia, MO 65202
Salary: $13.00 to $15.00 /hour
Job Title: Certified Peer Specialist
This position is responsible for assisting program participants in improving their health and quality of life through the delivery of peer support services. The purpose of this position is to model and assist clients in connecting with resources in the community that are key to their long term success. The main goal is to assist clients to achieve stability in independence, employment and improve skills through peer coaching. All staff adhere to Federal Regulations (42 CFR part 2) regarding client rights to confidentiality of records of their identity, diagnosis, prognosis, or treatment, as well as ensuring compliance with HIPAA regulations as related to the release and retention of client information.
In addition this position is responsible for internal and external reviews which foster quality within the agency. This position carries a great deal of responsibility to keep a working knowledge of state performance standards and contract obligations. Participate in developing quality improvement strategies for areas in the agency that need improvement to meet the expectation. This position will serve on the Quality Improvement Work Team and participate in clinical meetings as needed. The responsibility of this position is to maintain high standards of quality, meeting the expectations of Phoenix Programs, Inc., the State of Missouri Department of Mental Health and other funding sources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicate and coordinate clients’ needs for various support services.
- Help establish relationships with support services in community in order to build strong referral sources.
- Support the use of recovery tools and model successful recovery behaviors.
- Help consumers to connect with other consumers and with their community at large.
- Assist clients with identifying strengths and personal resources to aid in their recovery.
- Assist and teach clients how to use the computer and other effective resources to job search.
- Work with clients to develop work readiness skills, including resume writing, interviewing skills, dressing for success, and following a process for seeking employment.
- Facilitate computer skills training.
- Assist with job coaching as needed, literacy enhancement and G.E.D. preparation.
- Position will require some driving to meetings and to transport clients.
- Conduct regular audits on client charts for completeness and quality. Participate as a member of the Quality Improvement Team to establish best practice methods for the chart audits.
- Identify areas that are below standards or show patterns needing attention to the Director of Training. Also, help to develop and deliver trainings for the clinical team and support staff.
- Maintains knowledge of program policies and state standards developed for each level of service, and be familiar with confidentiality and client rights.
- Maintains and updates chart review tools, chart order forms, and any new forms as needed.
- Participates in clinical meetings as needed to keep communication lines open for all staff.
- Carry a small case load and/or facilitate educational groups as assigned.
- Perform other tasks as directed by Executive Director and/or other members of admin team.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Missouri Peer Specialist certification. High School or equivalent diploma. Must be able to model personal recovery story for others in recovery and establish therapeutic boundaries. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and have the ability to work with a team.
- Ability to write routine correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Speak and write English fluently.
- Ability to use a personal computer with a basic knowledge of word-processing, spreadsheet and data base software.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to solve practical problems.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.